Nov 30, 2010

Okay Girls...I Need Some SPERM help!

What a funny title is that?  :)  Seriously though, I need some help.  I'm trying to google it and I'm getting frustrated because all I'm getting is medical jargon.  I just want someone to help explain it in everyday language.  I just emailed our RE, but I don't think I can wait.  (And Jesse says I need to work on my patience?!  HMPH!)

Okay, so Jesse went and got a new SA for giggles.  It went from having amorphous and tapered forms to having pinheads, bent heads and amorphous forms.  I know these are not good, but does anyone know what the heck they mean?!  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I'll share what I find out from the doctor...

Thanks gals!


Mrz. Hannah Myhre said...

obviously theres a morphology problem. but you already know this of course. i have no idea what they mean either.

however I am very interested in what your dr will have to say about it! let us know when you here something back.


Jennifer said...

I have no idea what that all means. Sorry! I wish I could be more help. Will be interested to hear what your doctor has to say.

Meant to be a mom said...

I wish I could help you but I have no idea what this means. Let us know when you find out, I'm definitely curious.

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

Hey there! I knew my lecture on IVF and such would come in handy....Normal sperm conforms to strict measurements and have a smooth oval head, a well defined acrosome (part of the head, won't get into details), slender, regular midpiece aligned with the head, and a uniform tail that is thinner than the midpiece but 10x longer than the head. "Normal" sperm means there is greater than or equal to 4% normal forms.

Tapered = elongated head
Pinhead = head looks like the end of a nail (the end you hit)
bent heads = head is bent
amorphous = abnormal head shape, mixed shapes/morphologies

Unfortunately, all of these types of "abnormal" shapes are indicative of problems with the sperm and therefore the SA would suggest for you to do ICSI (intracytoplasmic sprem injection) of a normal sperm they were able to extract from a sample or some other type of assisted reproduction where they select a "normal" sperm and directly inject it into an egg.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions :) Nikki Fletcher