Oct 11, 2011

My Back-Up Plan

For awhile now, I've been contemplating what I can possibly do with an education degree.  It's not that I don't LOVE my job...I DO!  It's just I don't know how long I will be able to be an educator based on all the garbage that educators have to deal with.  Especially in Michigan.  Politicians are going after teachers and making things harder to do our job.


I'm not even talking insurance or pay-rates.  I'm talking the standardized tests, merit pay, pitting teachers against each other and not allowing us to work together...things like that.

I think I've mentioned on here before about writing a children's book and I've been doing more writing.  I will finish my stories and begin sending them in to publishers this year.  But, come on, that's not something I can count on.

But, I've got it!!  I've got it!!!  When Jesse and I went to the gym last week, we picked up the magazine that they have there.  That's when it hit me.  What am I most passionate about?  Kids and nutrition/exercise.  I said to Jesse, we should look into opening an Anytime Fitness and I should look into getting certification to be a trainer.  Then I can work with people to help them become healthier.  I can also hold exercise classes for kids.

I think Jesse thought I was just blowing smoke, but it's been over a week and I can't stop thinking about this idea.  I think this would be an AWESOME thing for Jesse and I to do together.  It would allow me more freedom when we do start our family and it would be something that makes me happy and I'm extremely passionate about...

I don't know.  I think I'm on to something!!

 Photobucket

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Just so you know, it's not just in Michigan where teacher's are having problems - it's all over! It seems like I don't even get to teach anymore with all of the paperwork that has to be done! And I think the gym is a great idea!

Ashley said...

Sounds like a great idea! I definitely think you should do something you're passionate about!

Christina said...

Trust me, if you are doing something you are passionate about, it makes a huge difference if you have to leave your kids to do it. Unfortunately, I learned it the hard way.

One thing I wanted to mention is that I would love it if I could send the older kids who are in school full time and can't stay at home by themselves somewhere after school to do something productive between when school is over and when I pick them up. I mean daycare is fine but when they are older, I think they might get bored with that setup so it would be nice to have something more focused towards them. I think with your ability to teach and relate to kids and your passion for exercise and things healthy, you could really do something cool. Just wanted to share my quandry because I am sure I am not the only mom with that issue. Also, what about summer camps while parents are at work and kids are out of school or parents need a break!